Enforcement of Court Orders

Fort Worth Family Law Attorney – (817) 435-4970

After completing a divorce, the court will issue orders to both you and your ex-spouse that outlines what you must and must not do, such as how much child support to pay or when visitation is permitted. Court orders of this nature are only useful if your ex-spouse intends to follow and obey them. What can you do if they are not?

Court orders that may be violated by an ex-spouse include:

  • Child support
  • Child custody
  • Visitation
  • Alimony
  • Restraining order

At The Clark Law Firm, our family lawyers in Fort Worth provide clients the opportunity to learn their legal rights and options after an ex-spouse or other family member disobeys a court order. As many past clients have attested, we strive to bring the very best service to you and approach your case as if it is our own. This client-first attitude has awarded us with a loyal clientele and high marks on Avvo.

Find out more by calling (817) 435-4970 to discuss your case.

Enforcement Options to Consider

A court is essentially a law that applies only to specific parties named in the order. When one is disobeyed, intentionally or inadvertently, the court will not be pleased and offers methods of correcting it. The enforcement options will vary from case to case, as they are related directly to the order that is being ignored or violated.

Some enforcement methods the court may allow you to use include:

  • Fines: Perhaps the most common method of enforcement, the court can implement penalizing fines against the violator. Fines are often based on what was violated and how long the violations have occurred.
  • Driver’s license suspension: Some court order violations are grounds for temporary removal of the offender’s driver’s license. This is most commonly reserved for cases involving an ex-spouse who could have been paying child support but intentionally decided against it.
  • Wage garnishment: When money is involved with a court order – such as child support or spousal support orders – the court can put a garnishment on the violating spouse’s paychecks. This will extract the necessary amount each pay cycle and deposit it directly into your account.
  • Imprisonment: Although extremely rare, the court can use jail time to punish someone who has violated a court order. This is seen as a last resort but it certainly can serve as a harsh wakeup call for them to take the matter seriously.

In many cases, the fastest track to correct a violated court order is to hire an attorney that can help bring it to the attention of your ex-spouse. Simply showing that you are serious about the matter may make them correct their behavior. While you may want to consider this option first, keep in mind that it might not create a permanent solution. You should also not directly contact an ex-spouse or family member if they have a history of domestic violence – never do anything that jeopardizes your health.

Ready to Explore Your Options? We Can Help

It helps to approach an enforcement case with some delicateness and deliberate steps. Our Fort Worth family law attorneys can provide you with the legal know-how necessary to make this happen, and with as little stress to you as possible. As an easy way to get started, we invite you to contact us whenever you are available and ask about setting up a complimentary consultation.

Contact The Clark Law Firm

    • Please enter your name.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
      Please enter your phone number.
    • This isn't a valid email address.
      Please enter your email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.
Schedule Your Free Consultation